The Admission process has been so draining that you are almost at the end of your tether emotionally, physically and mentally when the day which you have been awaiting for a long time finally dawns. You have cleared the preliminary hurdles, are short-listed, have evaded the numerous piles of the 'rejected' applications and have received an interview call.
You feel jubilant, but the euphoria is edged with panic and gives way eventually to a serious attack of nervousness. This is especially true for students who have no prior professional experience and have never faced the interview board.
The interview is crucial in the admission process:
- It is the committee's first meeting with the candidate. The
board gets a feel of the personality behind the paperwork they
have read and assessed so far.
- It is golden opportunity to put his best foot forward and in
the door for the student. He can avail of this chance to press
home his advantages, clear the doubts, answer queries and leave
a favorable impression in person.
- There is many a slip between the cup and the lip in the
entire admissions process. The fact that the candidate has made
it this far is a definite encouraging factor and it is a perfect
occasion for him to convey his enthusiasm, suitability,
adaptability and fervor for admission to the very people who
have the power to decide.
- Sometimes, even the most powerful documentation and strong admission packaging is rendered useless when the committee meets with the candidate and finds him lacking. This could be for reasons as inane and simple as his ignorance of simple knowledge such as do and don'ts of interviews, deportment issues or monosyllabic answers.
- Reduces the candidate's anxiety, allays his fears and
provides much needed encouragement.
- Apprises the candidate of the admission committee's
expectations, concerns and approach, thus providing him a
crucial insight into his audience's minds and hearts.
- Covers every nuance of the interview process conclusively as
the candidate is made to respond to expected questions. Expert
assessment of his performance follows and tips and vital
information is provided. These mock interview sessions are
extremely helpful I eliminating nervousness and enhancing
- The aspects of the student profile, instances inviting
comment in his admission package like essays, Statement of
purpose, community service etc are meticulously discussed so
that there is no chance of the candidate to be caught of guard
or on the wrong foot.
- Guidance is provided from everything from what to expect to how to dress, to how to enter, telephone etiquette (if the interview is to be telephonic) to making a graceful exit.