- Stands for Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Conducted by the Testing Service (ETS) on behalf of the
Graduate Record Examinations Board and the Council of Graduate
- GRE exam scores are mandatory requirements for admission to
graduate schools and universities abroad.
- It is a common Graduate exam, which is taken by students
globally, so forms a comprehensive and common basis for
evaluation of ability, regardless of country.
- There is no specific time for GRE. Students throughout the
year can take it.
- The onus is on the students to take the test well in time
before applying for admission to any international college.
- All-important cities of the world are venues for the GRE
test. It is conducted everywhere around the globe and the
students can apply at their nearest center.
- The frequency of the test is twice a day on the five working
days of the week-Monday through Friday.
- In order to fix a date for taking the GRE test, Indian
students can contact the Regional Registration Centre at
- The website www.gre.org is the site where students can
register for the online
- Indian students have the option to place a call for GRE
registration to any Prometric center before 12.00 noon. This
call has to be three days before the intended test date.
- The GRE registration fee amounts to US $140 for the General
test and $150 for subject test. The total GRE fee amounts to
approx. Indian Rs 7000.
- If the student wants to reschedule the date for his GRE
test, he has to pay an additional US$ 40.
- Any additional score report required necessitates a US$ 15
- GRE Refund or GRE cancellation amount is US$60 and this
request has to be placed a week before the intended date for the
- The GRE registration standby fee is $35.
- Important: The GRE test fee has to be paid in US dollars. No
other currency is admissible.
- GRE fee waivers can be availed for both the General and
Subject tests. The criteria are financial constraints, which
have to be specified in the request for GRE form. Students
desiring a fee waiver have to contact the Central Financial Aid
at 757-226-4125 and meet the eligibility conditions.
- The GRE test is primarily a multiple-choice test. There are
two parts of the exam
- General GRE Exam
- Subject GRE Exam- the subjects are 12 in number.
- The student has access to his unofficial scores as soon as
he completes the test. The official scores are sent to 4
universities free of cost as specified by the student. These are
within 10-15 days of the date of the exam taken by the student.
- The student can take the GRE test only once in a month and
not more than 5 times in a year.
All the best
may your aspirations assist you in climbing
to the peak of your abilities!